14 December 2008

Yup

Hey Everyone,

I hope all’s well where you are. I’m doing pretty well, spending the weekend in Mosteiros with some other PCVs. We did the hike down from Chã, which is beautiful. It took four hours and my legs are killing me today. Who knew all downhill could be so tough?

The other day I climbed the volcano for the third time. It’s awesome to see the ocean from the top. It’s like you can see ‘til the end of the Earth. I climbed with another PCV, a local guide, and two Dutch tourists. Their son/brother went to Michigan for his master’s. It’s always fun to meet people who know Michigan for things other than Eminem and Detroit as the Murder City, not the Motor City, Motown (perhaps not for long?!?), or Hockeytown.

I’ve been working lately gathering information about the mountain guides in the village. Most young men say they’re guides, but of the 30+ I catalogued probably 7-10 fit the bill. I would willingly climb with most of them, but then again I speak Kriolu. They all know the trails, though. Everyone here is at least bilingual, if not trilingual. It’s amazing.

My landlady’s daughter just got into town today, so we had a nice feast. I can’t get enough kabrito (baby goat). It’s so cute yet so delicious. The other day my neighbor’s horse killed two of his three kabritos… Even the cassava was good. Perhaps it’s growing on me. I still consider it a cut-rate potato, though.

I don’t have much time left before my battery dies. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hiking the volcano sounds awesome. Im enjoying the Florida winter so far, its much more to my liking than 4-5 months of snow. Im still living in Pensacola. Christmas and New Years are approaching rapidly so that will be fun. We haven't forgotten about you and I hope that you have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!