11 January 2009

N sta xatiadu

So I moved to São Felipe Tuesday. You could say I’m bummed. Bummed isn’t strong enough a word but yeah. I’ll refer to São Felipe as Bila, from now on though. That’s what people from the fora (country, sticks, etc.) call São Felipe. My heart’s in the fora, so it’s Bila to me. Bila comes from the Portuguese villa, which evidently is what they called their biggest cities on the islands. Many people in Bila pity me that I had to live in Chã das Caldeiras. But no, I tell them, “Txan e mas sabi” (Chã das Caldeiras is way better than Bila).

Sure Bila has perks, like electricity, running water, free internet in the plaza, places you can buy food, etc. But if you know me, and how crazy I am, these things don’t make me happy. They make me wonder where I am and what I’m doing there. Every hour, every day. I never had doubts about joining, everyone agreed it was a perfect fit for me (minus my Mom, obviously. “Why not AmeriCorps or Teach for America?”), but now…

The night before I left Lauren and I went to Ramiro’s, the only place to hang out after dark in Chã. Some of the guides and the new president of the association, our friends, were there. When they learned I would leave the next day, they organized an impromptu despidida (going away party), buying bottle after bottle of manecom and tons of spaghetti with spam and chorizo for Ramiro’s wife and daughters to prepare. Everyone got a good meal (not always a regular occurrence at their homes) and had a good time (inevitably). I couldn’t express my gratitude properly in Kriolu, other to say that I feel like the people of Chã are my family. I think they understood. I don’t expect such a feeling in Bila.

The next day a truck came and picked up half of my stuff. We had to leave my bed, oven, propane tank, shelf unit, etc. At least I get to go back to Chã to get the rest. My neighbors and landlady are sad, the latter saying she felt safe with me there, her room being attached to my two (bedroom and another for everything else). Riding in the back of the truck with my stuff was surreal, everyone I forgot or didn’t get a chance to tell realizing as we passed with a full load that I was leaving. I hope they’ll understand it wasn’t my choice. I hope they won’t think I gave up on Chã. I didn’t.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

I wish you could have stayed in Cha also. I know Lauren enjoyed having you there. It is such a unique place and we loved our visit and overnight there when we visited. Stopped at all the "bars" along the way from your house to Lauren's. Ramaro's was a blast. We drank a few beers and then they started to play music. What a treat!
Are you getting use to the noise from upstairs!! They are a wonderful family and even invited us all up for dinner on our last night there but it is loud until late and again very early morning! Say hello to them from "Laura's" Mom.

Unknown said...

You are crazy Andrew, but remember you could go anywhere and live without electricity/running water if you wanted. The city has its own hardships the residents have to deal with. Just enjoy the differences.